Nueva Vista administers a fiscal sponsorship program to support filmmakers and presenters of Latin American and Latino films by providing a route to accept tax-deductible contributions via NVLM’s 501(c)3 status. Fiscally sponsored filmmakers and organizations can apply for grants from foundations or corporate funders that are usually restricted to 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations, and offer individual donors the benefit of a tax-deductible contribution.
Projects which meet the following guidelines may apply to Nueva Vista for fiscal sponsorship:
- Films and video content:
- Films from or about Latin America, or produced by Latinos in the U.S.
- U.S.-based productions must either have a Latino producer, director, or writer, or be about a Latino or indigenous American subject. Other under-represented groups will be considered in special circumstances.
- Non-U.S.-based productions must be from a Latin American country, or the subject must be about a Latino or indigenous American subject.
- Non-traditional media are eligible, so long as moving image content is a primary component.
- Work for hire is not eligible.
- Film presenters:
- This may include film festivals or series with an emphasis on Latin American or U.S. Latino films meeting the definition above.
- Project may be exclusively dedicated to Latino films or have a clearly defined Latino section.
- Sponsorship is available for one year and must be re-applied for each of year of multi-year projects.
- All projects must either already have some funding in place, or demonstrate concrete commitment to the project. This can include:
- A production that has already started
- For series or festivals, a previous edition or a commitment by a hosting institution
- Commitment from other funders, partners or co-presenters
- All projects must demonstrate some form of public benefit, such as:
- Providing a cultural outlet in an underserved community
- Supporting filmmaking by minorities
- Giving a voice to a community that is left out of mainstream media
Forward the following to info[at]nuevavista.nyc:
- One-page description of project, including a clear description of its public benefit
- Project budget, with note made if grant is for a particular part of that budget
- CVs of principal staff
- List of funding already in place, with copy of letters of commitment
- Documentation of previous editions or work so far
- For public screenings, festivals, etc, this can include flyers, press reports, newspaper listings, or information on third-party websites
- For film projects, can include the screenplay, teaser, stills, etc.
- Documentation of commitment from partners, co-presenters, or presenting institution
Include contact information for primary contact person. Nueva Vista staff will contact you to confirm receipt of application and give you an estimated timeframe for approval.
Once Nueva Vista has approved a project for fiscal sponsorship, the filmmaker/presenter is responsible for all applications and fundraising. Nueva Vista will retain a 7% flat fee on all contributed funds raised for the project.
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER